Dylan Finken of Max, N.D., was announced as a finalist for the 2018 American Star Farmer, one of the most prestigious awards an FFA member can achieve. Only four FFA members across the nation are nominated for the award and only one was named the American Star Farmer at the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis from October 24-27, 2018.
“It is a great honor to have not only Dylan but to have North Dakota as a finalist for this award,” says Tamra Maddock, Executive Director of the North Dakota FFA Foundation. “This is an extremely difficult award to even qualify for; Dylan has worked incredibly hard and it is wonderful to see his efforts rewarded on a national level.”
The American Star Farmer award is one of four Star Awards and recognizes members of the FFA who have exhibited outstanding skill and knowledge in agriculture as they complete their Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE). For his SAE, Finken focuses on Diversified Crop Production.
In addition to the skills and competencies displayed through an SAE, finalists must demonstrate leadership skills, academic success and earn their American FFA Degree, the highest degree an FFA member can achieve.
“Dylan has always been a dedicated member of our organization and has devoted a great deal of time and energy to our chapter,” says Amanda Huettl, Max FFA Advisor. “We are proud of the work he has done and to have him represent North Dakota and the Max FFA Chapter this October.” The three additional Star Awards are American Star in Agribusiness, American Star in Agricultural Placement and American Star in Agriscience. The finalists for each award are as follows:
American Star Farmer Finalists:
• Adam Eichacker of the McCook Central FFA Chapter in South Dakota.
• Dylan Finken of the Max FFA Chapter in North Dakota.
• Austin Stanton of the Centralia FFA Chapter in Missouri. Stanton was announced as the National Star Farmer. Click here to read more about him.
• Laura Stobb of the Milaca FFA Chapter in Minnesota.
American Star in Agribusiness Finalists:
• Benjamin Curtin of the Taylorville FFA Chapter in Illinois. *Named the Star in Agribusiness. Click here to read more about him.
• Aaron Deunk of the Norris FFA Chapter in Nebraska.
• Conner Watts of the Slaton FFA Chapter in Texas.
• Brady Womack of the Morris FFA Chapter in Oklahoma.
American Star in Agricultural Placement Finalists:
• Gracie Danner of the West Liberty FFA Chapter in Iowa.
• Landon Herring of the Lowndes County FFA Chapter in Georgia.
• Jarret Moser of the Jefferson County FFA Chapter in Tennessee.
• Colin Wegner of the United South Central FFA in Minnesota. *Named the Star in Agricultural Placement. Click here to read more about him.
American Star in Agriscience Finalists:
• Adrienne Blakey of the Stillwater FFA Chapter in Oklahoma.
• Katherine Marie Fazzino of the Rudder FFA Chapter in Texas.
• Eric Koehlmoos of the South O’Brien FFA Chapter in Iowa. *Named the Star in Agriscience. Click here to read more about him.
• Katheryn Vacula of the Big Foot FFA Chapter in Wisconsin.